Emigrant
Sensibility in the Age of Globalization (1):
Different Appearance
By
Lee Hye-won
Published:
June 4, 2015
Translated
by Marilyn Hook
Editor’s note: Vacation,
business travel, migrant labor, language study, study abroad, international
marriage, immigration—many of us have such experiences of crossing national
borders, and there are many immigrants living in our country. Ilda examines the
emigrant sensibility we will need in order to live equally and peacefully in
the age of globalization. Lee Hye-won, the first author in this series, is an
intern at the Korea Center for United Nations Human Rights Policy. This series
is supported by the Korea Press Foundation’s Press Promotion Fund.
English streets are lovely, but
the people not so much
“The
buildings and streets were so beautiful that just while going out into the
neighborhood, just leaving my house and getting on a bus, I felt like I was in
fairy tale. But the people living there were not so beautiful. Before, the U.K.
was to me an advanced, big, and beautiful country. But the racism, which Korea doesn’t have even
though it is much smaller than the U.K., makes it seem smaller than Korea.”
It
was the winter of 2013, during my first time in Europe. After finishing my
language course at a university in Birmingham, I wrote and turned in the above
as part of an essay on my impressions of studying English in the U.K.
Actually,
I wasn’t there long enough to be able to make generalizations like, “The U.K.
is like this!” And I hadn’t been the target of severe racism or harassment. I
think that I wrote and turned in this essay that was so subjective as to be
rude to the school because my young heart was hurt that I had endured a few
incidents of discrimination, of division between “you” and “I,” and had had to
cower and live in anxiety for the sole reason that I was “Asian,” “an alien,”
“a foreigner.”
![]() |
| During my time studying English in the U.K. © Lee Hye-won |
I
think that because in Korea I had never seen a school like this, composed of
students of various races, religions, nationalities, some of them immigrants,
some mixed race, I thought of problems like multiculturalism and racism as
belonging to other countries. Conversely, I expected that in a country as
racially diverse as the U.K., the systems and facilities related to human
rights, immigration, and multiculturalism would be well set-up.
It
was during an information session and campus tour at the International Student
Center of one English university that English students of my age or perhaps
even younger stared at me and called me an “elementary school student from the
East.” I thought about the popular belief in “Asian babyface” and told myself
that “they must be like that because I’m short” and tried to ignore them. Also,
since I thought my English was good enough that I could talk through any
problems with English students, I made an effort to believe that nationality
and race weren’t important when it came to making friends.
Even
then, I felt that racism was something from a faraway country long ago, like
the United States’ civil war and slavery system that I had learned about in
world history class. So I didn’t think that the English students’ rude stares
could be because I looked different.
The
International Student Center always taught us that they had campus police on
standby, so if we were the target of racial discrimination or harassment on the
streets or on campus, we should report it immediately. Because of my excitement
at the beginning of my studies abroad and disbelief that such a thing would
happen to me, this training seemed so strict that it was almost strange.
In
reality, I experienced offenses such as [white] English people refusing to get
on an elevator with Asians or getting on but holding their nose, and not
working together on group projects in class. Luckily, I was never subjected to
threats or direct harassment, but when I ate lunch with my friends in the
school cafeteria, I listened to their stories of hearing disparaging remarks
about Asians or being threatened while walking home, in the university’s
corridors, or at a shopping center.
You and I are different, and
you are a little funny-looking
I
did a homestay with a typical English family. My “home mom” was an elementary
school teacher. She and her husband had divorced and they had a son and two
daughters. The younger daughter had moved to another area to attend university,
and the older one had brought her boyfriend to live in the house with her
mother and brother.
I
don’t know whether it was because of the culture or if my home mom was
open-minded, but she was fine with living with and cooking for her daughter’s
boyfriend. As for me, the idea of living with your daughter’s boyfriend was an
even bigger culture shock than it would have been for the black people, Asians
from many countries, and hijab-wearing women that I met at the university.
At
dinner, my home mom would ask what I’d learned and what I’d felt that day. One
day I told her about my friend being threatened by a few black people while
riding on the second story of the bus home. As one of the warnings she had
given me when I had first arrive at the homestay was to avoid 2-story buses if
possible, I asked if this kind of incident was what she had had mind.
In
light of the history of black people being discriminated against by whites, I
thought that black people discriminating against Asians and imitating their
“slanty eyes” was very strange. I got the feeling that there was a hierarchy of
races.
After
my home mom heard the story, she apologized to me. She said, “It’s a shameful
thing. We are taught not to do such things, but a lot of people still hold
wrong ideas and they often do shameful things.” She added that even though
there’s a system that regulates against discrimination, it takes a long time to
change people’s minds about such a matter.
Most
of the people I met in the U.K. approached me when I had lost my way, helped
me, and became my friends. Yet as many good people as there were, there was an
equal number of those who put up divisions and seemed to be saying, “You and I
are different, and you are a little funny-looking.” While my time studying in
the U.K. was enjoyable and let me make many good friends, it was the first time
I experienced being an outsider, not because of a language barrier but because
of my appearance.
So
when I finished my studies and returned to Korea, I fired off—to the innocent
school—what was for me a strong complaint about the unpleasant racial
discrimination I had experienced.
People whose difference is
their charm
![]() |
| In Mongolia © Lee Hye-won |
As
I returned to Korea, I decided: I would leave behind the viewpoint that I had
learned in school, which said vaguely, “Don’t discriminate,” and “Accommodate
and understand other multiculturalism.” I wanted to take an active approach. I
left for Mongolia thinking, “Yeah, first let’s find out what this ‘difference’
is.” Unlike the places I had gone for language study, I chose a
non-English-speaking area for the purpose of truly experiencing difference.
I
slept in a ger, the traditional house of Mongolian nomadic peoples, shot
arrows, and rode a horse. I touched a hot stone that had just been pulled out
of a dish of horhog, a traditional food, and heard about their culture in their
language. We didn’t have a common language, but I tried to learn Mongolian and
they tried to learn Korean. Our languages and cultures were different, but we
learned about those differences and had fun together. Ironically, it even
seemed like we could understand each other better because we were different.
As
I did my short-term volunteer work, I even started to fundamentally question
whether we really were different. Even Koreans are all different from each
other. Individuals are all different in their particulars like gender and
personality. Just as people who are meeting for the first time—even if they are
all Korean—get to know each other’s tendencies and what they have in common,
“difference” is, in the end, a matter of relationships between people. Thus
getting to know people from a different country was actually a more pleasant
and enjoyable process. We who were different at first were equal and the same
in the end.
I
came back to Korea and worked as an interpreter at events like the World
Wheelchair Basketball Championship, the Incheon Asian Games, the Asian Para
Games, international film festivals, and the Boccia World Open. I spent time
with people who not only spoke a different language but also had a different
religion, appearance, and culture. These new friends from other countries gave
me the precious gift of teaching me about and giving me a taste of their
countries. I didn’t classify the ways that their cultures were different from
mine. I tried to just listen and experience each culture as it was. These
friends that were “different” from me were very likable.
Watching TV programs on which
foreigners appear
It’s
been a few years since the time I said that despite its size, Korea is a big
country because it doesn’t have as much racial discrimination as the U.K. Now
Korea can no longer be called a country of “one people,” and when you walk down
the street in Seoul, you’ll run into people of a surprising variety of races.
After experiencing being an alien, learning the charms of difference, and
coming back to Korea, I’ve started to ask some questions in light of the
changes that have happened to Korean society.
![]() |
| At one of the events at which I’ve worked as a translator © Lee Hye-won |
Recently,
many TV programs have featured foreigners of various races coming on and
telling their stories. The first that come to mind are JTBC’s Non-Summit, on
which people of a variety of nationalities discuss their perspectives on
different issues and cultures, and MBC’s Hello! Stranger, on which foreign men
and women talk about their experiences in Korea and introduce their countries’
unique cultures while staying at a guesthouse,
When
you add the foreigners who appear on Real Men to experience military life, a
foreigner named Fabian appearing on I Live Alone and talking as well as any
Korean about living thriftily, etc., you realize how easy it is to see
foreigners on entertainment programs.
These
foreigners in the media, who can speak Korean well and express their opinions
well, are cool and amazing. Sometimes I feel that they, who love Korea even
more than I do, are admirable and adorable. With almost no prejudice, Koreans
are showing an affinity for the foreigners appearing on Non-Summit and or the
few foreigner celebrities like Sam Hammington.
The
fact that so many foreigners are appearing in the media shows that Korea is a
multicultural and multiracial society, but it doesn’t mean that social systems
are in place or people have the awareness and education to accept those of
other races. Outside of the
well-scripted media, the looks that Koreans turn on people like foreign
laborers riding the subway, Southeast Asians, and Chinese restaurant workers
still contain quite a bit of prejudice.
The racism among us
A
black man who appeared on KBS’s Hello Counselor in 2013 said that Koreans’
discrimination against foreigners was nearly the same as it had been 36 years
earlier, and that it wouldn’t change in the future. He said he had seen many
instances of Koreans wiping their hands after touching a black person’s hand,
as if they had been smeared with dirt.
Once
an EBS program did an experiment in which a (white) American and a Southeast
Asian stopped Koreans on the street to ask for directions. Koreans who didn’t
speak much English helped the white person however they could, such as by going
with him to show him the way. The Southeast Asian, however, had trouble getting
Koreans to even start talking to him.
This
past March, a language institute in Cheongdam-dong caused controversy when it
posted an ad for [English] teachers that specified “whites only,” and KBS aired
an episode of My Neighbor, Charles in which a foreigner from Côte d’Ivoire who
works in a market was hurt to the point of tears by merchants’ derogatory marks
about black people.
The
term “peoples of color” [yu-saek-in-jong] refers to races that “have” a color,
but white, brown, and yellow are all colors. I think that calling all non-white
races “peoples of color” despite that is a white supremacist mistake. It cannot
but be ironic that, even as we are called people of color, we discriminate
against and look with prejudice at other people of color.
Occasionally,
the media offhandedly inculcates prejudice about certain races. For example,
when someone says to a black person appearing on Real Men that because he is
not very strong, it’s like only his skin is black, or when someone on Hello!
Stranger says that a black person must be able to tolerate heat well and so
sends them to experience a Korean sauna. We don’t feel uncomfortable watching
these scenes, but actually they are racist in that they divide people by race
and use that characteristic to confine them.
When
I, as someone who’s experienced being a stranger in a foreign land, consider
foreigners in Korea and the way that Koreans see them, I often think that
Koreans don’t even know what racism is.
Listening to the stories of
marginalized people
As
I had found it fascinating to spend time with people who are “different,” I
spent my last semester before graduating university in 2014 interpreting for
people visiting Korea from a variety of countries. While I wanted to work for a
foreign private company, I also wanted to help the world’s poorer areas. As a
compromise, I attempted to get a job with an international organization or
international aid organization.
There
was no surefire way to get a job with an NGO, but while I was searching I heard
about the Korean Center for United Nations Human Rights Policy (KOCUN). I’ve
now been an intern there since the beginning of April. I mainly work with the
U.N. division; I prepare weekly briefs on the human rights issues that the UN
Human Rights Council deals with and domestic human rights issues. Sometimes I
write newspaper articles about our projects or issues, or do paperwork for our
migrant women projects.
![]() |
| A mural near our office © Lee Hye-won |
Thankfully,
the people at this, my first workplace, are friendly and don’t discriminate
against interns. Since entering this organization that specializes in human
rights, I’ve found that many of the things that I thought I knew were wrong.
I’ve started to feel that a lot of independent study is required if you want to
work for the human rights of social minorities. At some point, I started
reading a lot of newspapers and other materials.
While
watching the people here talk about human rights, I feel that they are trying
ceaselessly to take on and heal incurable diseases. When I think of the human
rights violations committed by the government, those against women and
immigrants, those that must be happening right now somewhere in the world, I
feel like our task is an impossible one.
However,
the reason I feel an affinity for this work and want to listen more
passionately to the stories of people who are being discriminated against is
that I’ve realized that if I give up, there will truly be no one by their
sides. It’s very sad when I feel that the powerless have only other powerless
people by their sides. I often think, with regret, that if the powerful would
use some of their power to help, problems would be solved much more easily...
It
is upsetting that the world as I’ve seen it while working here is quite unequal
and cold, and it treats the stories of marginalized people as if they were
someone else’s problems. I wonder if it isn’t because I’ve experience being one
of the weak that I can be on their side and sympathize with their stories. Of
course you and I are different. But because we are all different, we are equal.
I hope that more people will raise their voice in support of people who are
discriminated against.
*Original
article:




I am so sorry you experienced negative things when you were in the UK. I can only apologise. Though do remember that White people in the UK are not necessarily people who have lived here for a long time and may not be British born either - they could be new to the UK themselves, and not used to ethnic diversity in the country they have come from. I am glad you had a much better experience in Mongolia. All the best with your life and work.
ReplyDelete