Emigrant Sensibility in
the Age of Globalization (14): The beauty in each of us
By Jeong Du-ri
Published: November 12,
2015
Translated by Marilyn
Hook
Editor’s
note: Vacation, business travel, migrant labor, language study, study abroad,
international marriage, immigration—many of us have such experiences of
crossing national borders, and there are many immigrants living in our country.
Ilda examines the emigrant sensibility we will need in order to live equally
and peacefully in the age of globalization. This series is supported by the
Korea Press Foundation’s Press Promotion Fund.
![]() |
| Belfort, the French city I lived in (11/2011) © Jeong Du-ri |
When I first became aware of my appearance
“What
does it mean to be an adult, ideally speaking? It means agreeing to certain
sacrifices, giving up exorbitant claims, learning that it is ‘better to
vanquish one’s desires than the world order’... working to be autonomous,
capable of inventing oneself as much as of stepping outside of oneself.”
(Pascal Bruckner, The Temptation of Innocence)
It was in 1996, when I
was in the 5th grade, that I first heard the newly-invented term “princess
disease.” At first, having princess disease meant that you thought you were as
pretty as a princess. Even that recently, there was no standardized or absolute
measure for evaluating appearance. At that time, we didn’t limit descriptions
of beauty to comparisons with actresses but expressed it figuratively; we would
say that someone had a face as round and plump as a full moon, a face as pretty
as an apple, lips as red as cherries.
Princess disease was
used to describe those who employed only their own evaluation of themselves,
with no consideration for others’, and mistakenly thought they were beautiful
even if others didn’t. Then another meaning of it, as not a disease that must
be frowned on but as having a proud and confident attitude and loving your
appearance, was added. Celebrity Kim Ja-ok wore a princess-style dress and
sang, “Princesses are lonely,” and a little later, the term “prince disease,”
which applies to men, emerged.
At that time, in
connection with our discovery of the opposite sex, the kids in my class—I’m not
sure who started it—began to openly rank the top three among us, using
appearance as the criterion. This was when I first began to be aware of
people’s appearance being beautiful or not beautiful. And that awareness led
directly to awareness of my own appearance.
Female students, please be pretty
This awareness of my
appearance and envy of beauty continued through middle and high school, and
even university. In school, on the street, in the media, there were always many
pretty girls, and the appearances of total strangers were a daily topic of
conversation among me and my friends of the same age.
Somewhere along the
line, a universal or absolute standard for the appearance that everyone desires
was made. The height, body weight, and chest/waist/hip measurements were decided
on. The facial features—small face and slim jaw, big eyes with double eyelids,
prominent nose, slightly protruding forehead, and so on—were close to those of
a Western-looking Barbie doll.
Female high school
students felt that they should be pretty. Unaware that we already glowed with
fresh youthfulness, we thought that we had to make our appearance match the
beauty standards and trends shown in the mass media. Adults thought the same.
After becoming a
university student, the feeling of freedom from becoming an adult with more
free time was accompanied by an increase in interest in one’s appearance and
time spent working on it. We lived for our appearances. The campus was
overflowing with beautiful young women.
The boyfriends I had
during that time evaluated my appearance highly by their standards (which were
not those of society in general), but appearance standards, which occupy a
lofty place among the standards by which the opposite sex is judged, were
always bothering me. This was because I was never free from the tension of
having to look good in front of the opposite sex or from the blunt critique of
appearance given by Korean men (at least, many of those I have known and
dated).
Not wanting to be ugly,
I paid constant attention to my appearance. People expected me to be pretty and
slim. It seemed like my family, friends, boyfriends, coworkers, and even those
I was meeting for the first time, expected me to be pretty.
Like every citizen of
the Republic of Korea, I tried to lose weight. My methods were to exercise and
eat very little. I tried several times to lose weight, but had little success
and simultaneously picked up bad habits like starving myself and bingeing. To
me, food was divided into what I could eat and what I couldn’t eat. I got more
and more sensitive about my appearance, other people’s opinions, food, and the
like.
Among people who don’t mention others’ appearance
As a French Language and
Literature major, I was given the opportunity to spend two years in France;
first as an [undergraduate] exchange student and then as part of a master’s
degree program. I spent the two years at a university in Belfort, a small city
southeast of Paris. Like KAIST in Korea, as a university specializing in
technology, it was well set-up for international exchange, and so there were
students from many different countries there.
![]() |
| February 2012, at the university’s global village festival © Jeong Du-ri |
There, I was able to make
friends of a much greater variety of nationalities and races than in Korea. Of
course, the greatest number of them was from France, but I was lucky enough to
also make friends from Morocco, Tunisia, Algeria, the Congo, Italy, Spain, the
U.K., Poland, Sweden, Hungary, the Czech Republic, Romania, Kazakhstan, China,
Japan, Brazil, Argentina, Mexico, and Colombia.
I and the friends that I
met in class, in extracurricular activities, or at parties, talked freely about
our cultures and values. It was while doing this that I came to question Koreans’
attitude toward appearance—striving for what was pretty much one certain type
appearance and competitively cultivating beauty—that I had taken for granted.
In France, my speech and
behavior became more natural, and I didn’t have a single conversation
evaluating someone’s appearance, mine included. This was partially because
Koreans’ measures for male and female beauty don’t make sense when applied to
foreigners and every culture’s idea of beauty is different, but the most
important reason was an atmosphere that didn’t encourage talking about others’
appearance.
In Korea, we quickly
become both the subject and object of appearance critiques, but I wasn’t either
while I was in France.
Asking for cosmetic surgery
to look like a celebrity is unimaginable
Perhaps because I was
living in a provincial city and I was a foreigner, who lacked the feelings of
belonging and responsibility that natives have, I felt less of a sense of
competitiveness than I did in Korea. Life in Korea had felt to me like a jungle
where you wouldn’t survive if you didn’t work as hard as you could to acquire
one of a limited number of targets.
A certain standardized
appearance was one of those targets. In Korean society, the everyday evaluation
of others’ appearance, and (because you could never be the most beautiful) the
sense of inferiority regarding your appearance, as well as the weight-loss and
cosmetic surgery that you dreamed of or actually did to conquer that, were
already ubiquitous.
Every time I visited the
home of a French friend’s parents, I was quite surprised by middle-aged women’s
approach to their appearance. Instead of using up their energy on trendy
weight-loss methods, they would fix themselves up in the way that best
showcased their own beauty. Just as I saw in my [young] French female friends,
middle-aged women didn’t follow trends, but focused on emphasizing their best
features. Each one was different, but not ugly or overdone, and beautiful in
her own way.
![]() |
| July 2012, on a beach in the south of France © Jeong Du-ri |
Of course, there is
quite a lot of cosmetic surgery in France as well. The most common procedures
there are liposuction, face lifts, and breast enlargement. French people
consider one’s figure important, and find slim bodies beautiful. They think it
is natural that everyone’s facial features are different. They seem to find
beauty in faces that are different from most. It would be unimaginable for a
French woman to bring a picture of someone to the cosmetic surgeon and ask to
be made to look the same.
As France has had more
diverse peoples mixing together for a long period of time, and has allowed immigration,
the appearances of its people have also become diverse, so that the differences
between people in hair, eye, and skin color are much larger than what can be
found among Koreans. This may be why they acknowledge, and seek to discover the
natural beauty of, their own unique physical characteristics.
France has banned cosmetic surgery advertisements since 2005
After living for a few
years free of others’ opinions about my appearance, the bad eating habits that
I had acquired while trying to lose weight improved. And I lost weight, despite
making no efforts to do so. You could say that being free from consciousness
and anxiety about my body allowed it to regain its original biorhythms.
My French boyfriend
didn’t evaluate my appearance based on how much fat was attached to my body. He
saw my flat nose and small eyes, which are considered reasons for an
inferiority complex in Korea, as attractive features. During this period in
which there was no mention of others’ appearance in conversations with friends,
boyfriends, or family, I gradually became liberated from concern about my body
and others’ bodies. I learned the value of natural beauty and of beauty that
comes from your gaze, expression, and behavior.
The middle school-aged
daughter of a professor I respect was born to a Korean and a French parent, so
her features seemed foreign even though they had a clear Asian influence. She
liked her small eyes and single eyelids. It wasn’t that she had princess
disease, but that she knew and emphasized her good points. One of my friends
had big gaps between her teeth, and so of course she considered that an
attractive, unique feature. (Of course there are differences in aesthetic
viewpoints, and if my friend had been in Korea she would have gotten braces to
eliminate the gaps.)
There are several people
considered ideal beauties in Korean mass media and cosmetic surgery ads, but
their appearances are very similar. As someone who had acclimatized to and
internalized that image of beauty, seeing people who discovered and highlighted
their own unique features was a minor shock to me. French women are probably
less likely than women from any other country to tolerate looking the same as
others.
Of course, French
society is not free of efforts to improve appearance and the subsequent side
effects. It is said that 1.5% of French women between ages 15 and 35 suffer
from anorexia. In 2010, Isabelle Caro, a model who had long struggled with the
disease, died of related health problems.
In response to this issue, the French legislature passed a law against
ultra-thin models in April of this year. The country banned advertisements for
cosmetic surgery in 2005.
Beauty discovered once you are free from judgment about
appearance
Among Eun Heekyung’s
short stories, there is one called “Beauty Despises Me.” Upon hearing that her
father is in critical condition, the story’s main character, whose appearance
is ungainly because of obesity, tries and succeeds to lose weight in order to
look good for him (as he had disapproved of her weight).
In accordance with the
prevailing opinion of our modern, civilized society, this novel sees a slim
body as beautiful and a voluptuous body as not. It also contrasts Botticelli’s
Venus, considered a paragon of beauty, with the Venus of Willendorf. Like we do,
the story considers the latter an unattractive form worthy of scorn.
![]() |
| June 2011, at the International University Music Festival in Belfort © Jeong Du-ri |
I think that it’s
totally natural, in human society, to seek beauty. But it’s impossible for
everyone to have the same appearance, and just because your appearance fits the
standard, that doesn’t mean that it is beautiful. Also, beauty standards might
be different 10 years from now. Each of us having a different appearance makes
the world more colorful and fun.
It’s boring even to
imagine a world where everyone looks the same, as if they were all wearing
masks and clothes made in the same factory. Living in French society, I became
free even from an interest in appearance. I got in the habit of imagining that
I was using a calliagnosia, a device from Ted Chiang’s short story “Liking What
You See: A Documentary” that makes it impossible to even recognize beauty or
ugliness, and consciously tried to avoid using appearance as an important
standard when making judgments about other people.
This is not to say that
there is no lookism in France and it is free from that kind of prejudice. But
it is a fact that I started to take a more laid-back approach to human
appearances and behavior while living in France, and discovered the natural
beauty of people with a variety of appearances who seek and highlight their own
unique charms.
In October, a law
banning advertisements for non-necessary cosmetic surgery was proposed in the
South Korean National Assembly. I hope that we in Korea, the country often
called “the land of cosmetic surgery,” can also contemplate the true meaning of
beauty.
*Original article: http://www.ildaro.com/sub_read.html?uid=7286§ion=sc4




No comments:
Post a Comment