페이지

“The Results of Our Labor Are Etched in Space”

“Interview Outside the Research Paper” Series: Jo Young-ju, Researcher on Self-Employed Young Women Doing Physical Labor

 

By Park Ji-ha

Published: April 6, 2026

Translated by Se-young Kim

 

Research Introduction: The thesis "The Physical Labor Experiences of Self-Employed Young Women Dealing with Space: Focusing on the Home Repair, Wallpapering, and Cleaning Sectors" is a study that sheds light on the labor experiences of young self-employed women working in the home repair, wallpapering, and cleaning industries. The author, Jo Young-ju, is herself a self-employed young woman running a cleaning business, as well as a researcher studying and practicing women's studies.

Jo Young-ju cleaning an office using a piece of floor-cleaning equipment known as a ‘Doldoli’ (floor polisher). Ms. Jo is a self-employed young woman running her own cleaning business, as well as a researcher studying and practicing women's studies. (Photo provided by Jo Young-ju)

-I am curious how you were able to enroll in a women's studies graduate program and even write a thesis, given that you are the owner of a cleaning company and a coordinator for a civic group, working in the local community to the point where even having two bodies wouldn't be enough. 

I lived in Jungnang-gu, Seoul, from birth until my late twenties. While majoring in cultural contents, I engaged in local community activities while creating plays and music. The Jungnang-gu community was a place where projects were conducted from a feminist perspective, though I didn't consciously perceive it as such at the time. However, as I planned and managed projects, I naturally developed a sensitivity, and by taking feminism courses concurrently, I realized, "So this kind of world exists." I thought that if the opportunity ever arose, I would like to study it further.

After getting married and moving, I settled in Incheon. To make a living, I started working as a cleaner, and to continue the activities I had been doing in Jungnang-gu, I also began working part-time as a coordinator for a civic group. Through this, I was also able to pursue the academic work in women's studies I had long desired.

 

-So, you actually found extra time thanks to your cleaning job? 

Another reason I decided to work as a [self-employed] cleaner was time. It is rare to find an organization that operates according to the rhythm of its employees. I wanted to break away from any organization's rhythm and live at my own pace—a life where I could take time for myself, even if just a little. I started looking for work that I could do with these considerations in mind, and that is how I ended up choosing this job. In my previous work experiences, I felt my health constantly deteriorating due to working long hours, and I think I spent quite a long time contemplating whether that lifestyle was sustainable.

Currently, I have time to care for stray cats while working as a cleaner. I have also adopted some cats while caring for them. (I am currently living with Makdung-i, Gangnaeng-i, and Kkul-tteok-i.) Cleaning work can be taxing at times, but I think I am happy that I can have my own time.

The process of collecting and sorting out accumulated disposable beverage cups during a regular office cleaning visit. (Photo provided by Jo Young-ju)

-You learned a skill in order to use your time as you pleased, became self-employed, and wrote a thesis by collecting the stories of women doing the same line of work.

“On the day of my graduate school interview, I wrote in my diary, ‘I want to try to make sense of my life within a social context.’ I had a feeling that the record of time that I journeyed through would not be merely a record of my personal life, but a record of women living in this era. I really wanted to meet women who do the same work, and I wanted to explain my life to those who were curious and perplexed about me working as a cleaner.”

Recently, contents featuring self-employed young women dealing with spaces has been appearing on various channels, but such content either emphasizes a ‘[high] monthly income of 10 million won’ or primarily highlights the hardships. I wanted to convey that those sides are not the whole story. I wanted to address the pride as a working person, without feeling shy or uncomfortable about it. I also felt a sense of responsibility to speak out about this issue, as this work tends to be heavily gendered (that is, perceived as primarily a job for men).”

 

-I was impressed by your comment about wanting to address pride as a working person.

“There are standards and hierarchies of success established by society. For instance, everyone talks about professions considered ‘successful,’ such as lawyers and doctors, but many people are often unaware of how the essential labor that keeps our society running actually operates. Some forms of labor remain invisible. I wanted to bring them to light. I also wanted to talk about labor that society does not value, because it is what keeps the world running. It is difficult work, and naturally, there are many challenges, but I did not want to simply describe labor as suffering.”

 

-Looking at the title of the thesis, I wondered why it was categorized as ‘labor dealing with space,’ but I understood it after seeing the sentence on page 20: “The result of this labor is etched in space.”

“When I go in to clean, the traces of a week’s worth of daily life are piled up. There is a lot of trash and a lot of contamination. In a way, it is also the mark of the intense labor of those who use the space. Come to think of it, I don't think I was that good about recycling when I worked at a company. It seems that the harder the work felt, the more recklessly I lived. However, after cleaning a place, I can definitely feel the difference between before and after. Home repairs are like that too, and so is wallpapering. These are tasks that transform a space, and I felt that the labor is etched into that space. This work allows you to confirm that reality with your own eyes.”

Ms. Jo applying a wax coating to the office floor after cleaning. She feels a sense of reward and accomplishment every time she checks the before and after results of a move-in cleaning. (Photo provided by Jo Young-ju)

“It is essential labor that keeps our society running, but it hasn’t been visible.

I wanted to address the pride of being a working person. Because this is what keeps the world running.”

 

-In discussing the background of your entry into self-employment, you mentioned ‘experiences of being excluded or not recognized within organizations’ and ‘fatigue from emotional labor in interpersonal relationships.’ I think this will resonate deeply with readers of the thesis. It feels like experiences and emotions that young women are bound to feel, no matter where they work or what kind of work they do.

“The women around me suffered a lot physically and mentally while working. Why can't women of our time work without medication? That was a big question for me. I, too, became very exhausted and burned out while working. I thought about why that was the case. I believe that one needs to find an answer, if not a complete one, to the question, ‘Why am I doing this?’ in order to be able to grind one's body down for that work; but since I had absolutely no idea even where this ship was headed...

I don't want to speak ill of any specific organization. However, I think the feeling of being a mere cog in the machine, or the demands to quantify and standardize intangible values, are what truly exhaust people. It feels like I'm doing work that never ends. I found myself thinking, ‘Looking back on the moments I worked the hardest, there was nothing to show at the end besides me getting sick. Where did all my hard work go?’ The organization didn't protect me. It seemed natural for activists to grind themselves down. After going through days where I cried even in my sleep, I thought deeply and suffered greatly before reaching a conclusion: I must take responsibility for my own life. I wrapped up what I was doing and chose a new job, which was cleaning. I liked that cleaning allowed me to see the work I had done and brought the entire process under my control.”

 

-It reminds me of the point where you mention that the visible results are what set this work apart from other labor experiences where you felt alienated from the labor itself. 

“That’s right. It is straightforward and free from any ambiguity that comes from not knowing how much responsibility to take. Cleaning is a job without any frills. Since my results are visible, I feel a sense of self-recognition, and I take full responsibility for supplementing and resolving any shortcomings I discover. In the days when I didn’t know the ropes, my body would often ache after work. Just like me, the research participants all have their own ways of taking care of their bodies. Although this work is said to be physically demanding, it is also learned labor where senses [of how to do it well] accumulate within the body. Many women have found that [after taking a career break] their previous work experience is not given proper recognition. But if you become someone who knows how to use your body, your work experience becomes something engraved into it.”

Researcher Jo Young-ju during the interview, with her published thesis and trusty notepad. (Photo by Park Ji-ha)

The biggest fear is unpaid receivables… “There are many women who work but don’t get paid”

Small business owners feel the social safety net is too small

 

-Unlike employed workers, self-employed individuals may lack a safety net. Weren't you worried about this when you decided to enter the field?

“One research participant mentioned, ‘As economic agents, we are one of the entities supporting the axis of this world's economy, and although we are turning this wheel together, we feel like we are being completely excluded.’ This is a problem I experience daily as well; the most vulnerable point for the self-employed is not getting paid for the work they do. The woman who created the website ‘Craftspeople’s Land’ [a platform for reporting untrustworthy businesses such as interior design firms that fail to pay contractors] worked as a contact paper installer and studied coding at night to launch the site because of unpaid wages. It was created for the public good. There are so many women who don't get paid. As a self-employed cleaning business owner, the thing I fear most is unpaid receivables. Pressuring for payments is also a job in itself.

For the self-employed, everything is their own responsibility. Of course, there are those who make a lot of money, but because there is a perception—ignoring Korea's current industrial structure—that ‘the self-employed don't need protection because they are the bosses,’ it seems that small-scale business owners have very little safety net. However, when I bring this up, people respond by saying, ‘If you don't like it, go work for someone else,’ or ‘You don't have the ability, yet you want the title of boss and expect to be treated well?’

While working at various organizations in the past, I suffered from self-loathing, wondering, ‘Everyone else manages to live like this, so why can't I?’ However, I realized I couldn't bear not finding meaning in life. So, thinking ‘it doesn't matter whether it's this cliff or that cliff,’ I became self-employed. I didn't want to run a franchise business; I disliked the idea of ​​simply making money for the headquarters. I wanted to do work where I could control the process, but there weren't many opportunities available with limited capital. I was also concerned about finding work that wouldn’t be replaced in the age of AI.

That is how I started working as a cleaner, and [shortly afterward] I saw some relatives whom I hadn’t seen for years at a funeral. They asked what I did for a living; saying ‘I work at a company’ would have been good enough to move on to the next topic, but when I told them I was a cleaner, they were all aghast. At that moment, my father cleared his throat and left. The relatives expressed concern, saying things like, ‘As soon as you realize this isn’t the right path, find another job.’ I did feel the social stigma and low status of this work. Although I am the type of person who is extremely conscious of what others think, I wasn't greatly affected by it because I thought that even if I failed, it was my life anyway.”

 

-I heard that your father is very proud of you now. In your thesis, you also introduced various attempts made by people in the industry to move beyond perceptions of manual labor and foster respect for this kind of work.

I hope that women engaged in manual labor will appear in the media more often to make this work visible and express their pride. I myself wrote a thesis, and I am in the process of preparing a book. I have also recently started a YouTube channel. These endeavors are also a trend that fosters respect for colleagues doing this work and for ourselves.

There is also a KakaoTalk group chat for self-employed women working in home repair, wallpapering, and cleaning who provided significant assistance in making this thesis possible. There are over 600 members in this group, and for current and prospective self-employed women, it is essentially like a labor union. The chat notifications ring all day long. When we share the difficulties we face at work in this chat, we support and help each other.

I would like to express my sincere gratitude to the research participants. Self-employed women in these industries have unreliable days off because they must rush to respond to customer requests just to make a living. There were instances where an interview was scheduled but had to be canceled because a job came up. I understand their situation, as I also rush out immediately when asked to provide an estimate. Those who agreed to be interviewed were taking a day off from work to meet with me. It felt like I was receiving support from self-employed women whom I had previously been unaware of. Because of that, I think I conducted the interviews with a spirit of solidarity more than a mindset of completing research.”

After starting a cleaning business and being able to adjust her working hours, Ms. Jo Young-ju adopted stray cat friends and is now living with them. (Photo provided by Jo Young-ju)

-Now that the research is complete, are there any topics or questions you would like to expand on further?

 “There were so many female self-employed business owners who were unaware of what kind of protection they were eligible for. Moving forward, I would like to spend time considering what policies are needed to protect the rights of the self-employed, and furthermore, I believe we need to organize.”

 

-You are writing a book and starting a YouTube channel amidst all this busyness, but honestly, for self-employed individuals, promotion and marketing are entirely their own responsibility.

“The stress of promotion, including managing social media, is immense. If I don't do it, everything just sinks. [That work] is a given. These days, there are a lot of videos on YouTube about female manual labor technicians and self-employed women, so I watched them all. I analyzed the glut of stories—ranging from the ‘10 Million Won a Month’ type to the ‘Skill-Results’ type and the ‘Personal Story’ type—and I felt that there are stories yet to be told, stories that only I can tell. For the book, I plan to include stories that I couldn't cover in my thesis, such as the retirement of the self-employed or the digital labor I am currently discussing. I am aiming for publication this year. I suppose the more I spread the word about it, the more I will write diligently, right?”

 

Jo Young-ju, a technician, CEO, researcher, and feminist, is pioneering a new path with her unique skills, creating cracks in existing prejudices in fields referred to as "men's domains," "manual labor," and "jobs unsuitable for women."

 

About the Author: Park Ji-ha. Believing that earning a master's degree would enable her to confidently articulate clear and distinct answers, she spent a considerable amount of money to pursue graduate studies. Coming to the Department of Practical Women's Studies at Sungkonghoe University—a haven for feminists—she learned that the reason for studying women's studies lies in maintaining an attitude of keeping questions, conflicts, and discomfort by one's side, living amidst chaotic clashes and discord while still being observant and caring. She may not have become a person who speaks the answers, but she has no regrets.

 

Original Article: https://www.ildaro.com/10426


No comments:

Post a Comment