페이지

▼

Happy People Even Without New Things

Emigrant Sensibility in the Age of Globalization (11): Remembering the Country of Forever Spring ①


By Luna
Published: October 20, 2015
Translated by Jieun Lee

Editor’s note: Vacation, business travel, migrant labor, language study, study abroad, international marriage, immigration—many of us have such experiences of crossing national borders, and there are many immigrants living in our country. Ilda examines the emigrant sensibility we will need in order to live equally and peacefully in the age of globalization. This series is supported by the Korea Press Foundation’s Press Promotion Fund.

Missing Some Things in the Place that I Left

A one year trip around the world. That was my plan when I left South Korea in the spring of 2008. However, when I actually returned in 2014, in those six years I had visited less than six countries.

Before leaving South Korea, I used to work as an editor at a publishing company, and now that I have returned, I also work as an editor. In this past entire year in South Korea, I have not only been struggling to catch up on everything that has changed in the last six years when I was not here, but I’m also struggling to accept everything that is still the same, even though six years have passed.

On the way back home from the Café La Luna
when I was living in 
Xela, Guatemala. © Luna

As I look back, when I was outside of this country, I realize that I very badly missed some things in South Korea. But now I do miss some things from the place that I left. Recently, someone told me:

“The worst thing is to miss somewhere else while living here.”

This person, now in her late forties, was born in South Korea, spent her teens and twenties in Argentina, and came back to South Korea in her thirties. She said that it took her five years to re-adapt herself to South Korea. At the early stages of when she had returned to South Korea, she wanted to go back to Argentina. She tried to find a way to do so but unfortunately it was not possible, so she eventually decided to settle down in South Korea. This was five years after from when she had come back.

“Anyway, South Korea was a good place to live,” she finally stated.
I wondered when I would be able to say those words.

Xela Greeted Me with a Story Prepared Especially for My Future

One year after I left, I stayed at a village bordering a huge lake, in Atitlan, Guatemala. One fellow traveler, from Belgium, looked like a typical hippie who seemed to simply be on a short excursion with just a light backpack. Nevertheless, when opened, his backpack exploded like magic with a number of items like portable pots, a burner, a bag of flour, a rolled mat, etc. Every day, he ate Indian Chapati bread that he made by himself, and each time he made the bread he joyously shouted “Chapati! Chapati!” I was surprised to find out that he had been traveling for eight years and I asked him how could that be possible?

“It’s easy to travel for eight years. It’s simple.”



After some time passed, I ended up fully understanding that statement, which I had not understood at that moment. A few weeks after my stay at Atitlan, I arrived in Xela, the city that was waiting for me with a story prepared especially for my future. Later, that place became a space that I called home for more than four years.

My trip, which started from San Francisco, USA—and felt like a split second—took over one year until I was about to leave North America. It took such a long time not only because of the huge size of the U.S. and Canadian territory but also because of an important factor which I had not counted on when scheduling: the people whom I would meet on the road.

The Xela skateboard park with a graffiti of Quetzal, a Mayan bird. © Luna

Xela is the second largest city in Guatemala, Central America, but for South Koreans it looks like a very small city. Even though the city’s official name is Quetzaltenango, almost everyone call it Xela, which is the Mayan name of the city before Spanish colonization. As the city is located 2,330 meters above the sea level, its weather is cool, however, one should not expect a Himalayan landscape. The city has a McDonald’s and a Wal-Mart; people in this city enjoy TV dramas just like the people in Mexico or other Spanish language countries; and the majority of the younger generation listens to Techno and hip-hop music via smart phones.

On the other side, Guatemala continues its traditional culture which can be seen in two distinctive parts: Mayan culture before and after the Spanish colonization and catholic culture became implanted through the Spanish colonizers. Like other Central and South American countries, Guatemala was a Spanish colony for three hundred years until 1821, so the colonial culture which came across the ocean, implanted itself, and wiped out the Mayan culture which had strongly influenced not only the indigenous people’s collective unconsciousness but also their affective roots for a long time.

Many visitors are fascinated by the layouts of the streets in this city where the colonial style of the division of the city copied the configurations of old cities in Europe. So was I. There are dark, winding, and narrow paths like a maze; lights from small shops located at the corners; and a stoned ground not made for cars or humans but for horses passing by.

The main reason why I ended up staying in Xela for over one month was to take a Spanish language class. That was not only because most of the countries I travelled to were Spanish language countries in Central and South America, but also because I needed to learn Spanish to travel better. As Xela is a place where people use an appropriate speaking pace and have clear pronunciation, there are many foreigners who stay there in order to take Spanish language courses.

There are many cases in which travelers stayed there for at least two or three weeks, some staying for one more months because they are fascinated by the upbeat atmosphere, and then others even ending up staying for over one year. A number of communities, created by foreigners who left their homes and temporarily stayed there, unofficially and publicly became part of the culture in Xela.

At the Community House where Foreigners Live Together

“China! Chinita!”
People in Xela called all Asians Chino or China which means Chinese. Even though I lived there for over four years, this name calling in streets still made me uncomfortable. However, it could considered as acceptable since, in South Korea, people used to shout “American!” unconditionally whenever they saw foreigners who did not look Asian, even nowadays there are still a number of times when people look furtively and point a finger at foreigners.

One windy morning at the window of where “I used to live” © Luna

The atmosphere of the place where I lived in Xela was different from the one outside in the street. It was a sort of humble and rural community house where foreigners lived together, that had eight individual rooms, a spacious front yard, bathroom, etc, that people shared.

There are various reasons for young people in their twenties or thirties, mostly from North America and Europe, to come to Xela: people come in order to have a long vacation, learn Spanish, or do volunteering work for different kinds of associations; some people come to work or settle down after wandering to many places; others become fascinated by Xela and feel that they can live longer there; and others, still, come to Xela because they could not find jobs in their own countries and settle here because of the low-cost of living.

I spent enough time in Xela and Guatemala that I can generalize what I experienced there. However, the time that I spent there is the reason why I feel it difficult to generalize my experiences. That is why I do not want to compare a genuine story that one has to another genuine story such as that of Richard’s, an American in his sixties, who stayed in the house with me for a fairly long time, who had needed to leave his own country, and what he really wanted to attain from Guatemala, because I was deeply part of other people’s stories too.

So, after coming back from there with a certain outlook and a number of incomparable stories, I still sometimes feel so touched and moved to tears that I cannot answer the questions whenever I am asked about stories from Guatemala.

Cooking Became a Way of Expressing Myself

It is a common expression to call the weather in Guatemala a forever spring. Although the daytime sunshine is strong enough to dry laundry hung out in early morning then folded right after lunch, one does not sweat, unless one runs. Even though at dawn or at night the weather is chilly enough that one should wear a layer of sweaters, there is also no desperate need for heating appliances and no snow. The annual temperature range has no severe gaps and the climate has only two separate seasons in one year: six months of rainy season and six months of dry season. The all-year round cool weather was the other reason that made me stay in Xela longer.

“My Neighbors,” foreign friends I met in Xela. © Luna

The Native people in Xela were pretty kind to me as a single Asian woman. Because foreigners from English speaking countries or Europe had an easier time communicating with each other, this made me feel comparatively much closer to the Native people.

Due to the fact that it was rare to see Asian people, especially Korean people, whenever I joined a group of foreigners they were unconditionally delighted stating that “our atmosphere is really international!” Interestingly, when I cooked to eat in the communal kitchen, all of my neighbors wanted to taste the food—even if just a fried vegetable—and were eager to find out what kind of healthy food diet an Asian person followed.

Whether [their expectation] made me feel uncomfortable in the kitchen or not, I didn’t show it because cooking gave me such energy. By handling various types of vegetables bought from the market, I felt like the energy of these items transmitted to my entire body via my hands. In the course of washing, cutting, frying, and mixing them, I was able to not only disperse unnecessary thoughts and meditate silently, but also to gain newly found courage and even come up with new ideas or solutions to problems.

Whenever I cooked something copiously seasoned without measure—gauging only with my senses—then it turned out to be delicious, and I was extremely proud of myself as if I had succeeded a laboratory experiment. Cooking was kind of a way of expressing myself as if I could communicate fully under the condition of language. I told the people in my house that if I mentioned to my family and friends in South Korea that I had cooked here, they wouldn’t believe me. The people laughed at me and said they did not believe what I just told them.

Having Tortillas Everyday with Chati’s Family

About a month later, I made a Guatemalan boyfriend. He was an alcoholic who was involved with a lot of women, and who had anorexia. Perhaps feeling sorry for me living with their problematic son, his family invited me for lunch every three days and asked about their son who did not visit them often, not even once a week.

Chati’s dining table. The main plate with Tortilla or Tamale, made of corn powder,
is a typical Guatemalan meal. © Luna

Because my Spanish was not very good, I always preferred to help them in kitchen. It was more difficult for me to just sit and smile without talking especially as I wanted to let his mother know that I felt a very deep empathy toward her and her worries. Since his mother, Chati, was a Guatemalan woman who prepared a fine and delicious meal even with little money, I was lucky enough to not only have Guatemalan homemade food every day, but also learn how to cook and participate in their food culture.

Guatemalan meal consists of Tortilla or Tamale, which are made of corn power, and a main plate. Tortilla or Tamale, compared to a Korean meal, are the same as rice. They are served without any sauce but with meat, vegetable, beans, rice, etc. with the main plate.

Most families in Xela do not make Tortilla or Tamale by themselves but buy them from a local store right before their meal, thus serving them warm covered by a garment in order to prevent the dish to get cold. Due to the fact that they are made only of corn powder not flour, they are easy to digest. Guatemalans find energy and a feeling of being fully satiated from Tortilla just like Koreans do from rice.

Having Tortilla with Chati’s family gradually colored the part of my soul with Guatemalan spirit and consciousness. Tortilla became more and more delicious to me and I never tired of having Tortilla.

Sophia—the Goddess of Luck whom I met in Xela—was Chati’s eldest daughter’s three year old child. She was the family’s mood maker who shook up the melancholic atmosphere of the house, like a shark in the sea, invigorating and making everybody happy. That pretty girl constantly followed me everywhere and imitated my every gestures including when I was doing the kitchen chores so that all the family members took notice. It seemed that I suddenly appeared as a cast member in their family soap opera during this girl’s important stage of psychological development. Since Sophia always shouted calling out my name “Luna, Lu-Na-!” the other family members gradually showed their hearts to me and opened the hidden parts of their family history.

Sophia. I grew up with you there at that time. © Luna

One day, while having tea after a meal, Chati talked to me in a quiet tone and told me, without shedding a single tear, about her unhappy childhood in her hometown: her sexual molestation by relative, the severe poverty during her early marriage, her husband and son’s lies throughout her life, etc. I felt that her natural grace as a human being, who had experienced such turbulences, difficulties and poverty in her life, was as sad as it was beautiful. 

Growth, the Experience of Becoming a Family in a Faraway Place

Rosa, whose house is the Spanish institute where I used to study, was a single woman, who also used to often feed me Tortilla for lunch in her kitchen after class. Isabel, her close to seventy-year old mother who had complete authority over the kitchen, once called me and taught me how to make Tortilla in that kitchen. Since that day, I started to call Isabel “mom”, Rosa “sister” and Rosa’s daughter Daniella “niece.”

Thanks to the fact that I had Rosa as my sister who was very social and generous, probably because of her small family, I started to get invited to a number of various familial occasions such as birthday parties, weddings, and even community festivals. At any event, I was not only good at eating but also in helping out in the kitchen. I diligently washed dishes (as “a neat Korean”) and prepared very well many fruits and vegetables necessary for large parties. Unable to communicate through my mother tongue, these kinds of duties seemed to make me think less and feel less stressed out.

“Luna, Are you busy? We are going to make traditional beverages for next week’s religious festival and we need people to help us prepare, so would you please come and work from ten o’clock this Friday morning. You can have lunch with us.”

When Isabel put me in the kitchen with a pile of a hundred mangos, I felt like I became a Cinderella in a fairy tale. After peeling all of the mangos, the skin on my right fingers became paralyzed for one month. However, I liked to be needed, and in this way I was proud of myself becoming part of their family.

Sophia. I grew up with you there at that time. © Luna

Of course, becoming part of their family also brought on responsibilities and the experience of heartbreaking moments, and even at a one time, during a psychological crisis, I needed to cry in secret with my guilty feelings. Living through a lot of experiences with this family, it was impossible for me to compare this to my life in South Korea. How was it able for me, who used to criticize paternalism, to learn about family again on this faraway soil? It’s probably because my language skills were so rudimentary that I was accepted in their family and also because I did not possess any things. And it would have been possible for me because I was physically apart from my biological family.

After cooking in a number of kitchens in Guatemala, I became good at grocery shopping. After augustly shopping throughout an entire market place, even bargaining like a native person did, the vitality of various fruits and vegetables seemed to vigorously overtake my entire being.

I began to volunteer for a native woman’s association creating Guatemalan traditional handmade crafts. I also started a small business providing sandwiches which I made early in the morning to a local café, participated in many different meetings, and created strong relationships with people by inviting a number of them and treating them to my homemade food. My identity and potentiality began to draw a new growth curve as if standing at point zero.

People’s Passion during Festivals and Parades

For Koreans, the importance of big ceremonial holidays such as Chu-seok (Korean Thanksgiving Holiday) or Seol-nal (Korean New Year’s Day) is to rest; for Guatemalan people, Semana Santa is literally a holy period of festival. In order to see the religious parade from a good viewing point, people wait in a spot for three or four hours by stationing a chair, on which family members can sit taking turns to keep that particular spot. 

This parade takes place every year and it is always the exact same type and in the exact same order. Nevertheless, the people are passionate in seeing this same parade on a yearly basis. Nothing can truly explain this except that it is something more than religious fervor.

The Semana Santa festival parade. © Luna

Another large scale street parade takes place on Independence Day. It also follows the exact same order every year. Kindergarten kids march on the exact same day each year and the elementary school, middle school, and high school students all march in the exact same place each year, and all the people can see the same students as the previous year. And the same thing will happen next year. There is no doubt that every parade watcher is able to memorize the entire schedule of the parade. All people, from children to the middle-aged and the elderly, feel honored for participating in their parade, and talk about the heroic moments of the parades even many decades later.

After a few years of living in Xela, I felt that the Guatemalan people’s passion for their festivals and parades was like a tree devotedly repeating the process in which buds appear, produce leaves, blossom into flowers, and bear fruits in due time every year.

During another Guatemalan people’s holiday, “The Day of the Dead,” people exchange bread and chocolate as presents, make a food called “Fiambre” by paying with their own money and happily so, and enjoy it together. People also place bouquets of colorful flowers on every grave, and children have fun flying kites. On Christmas, they make “Paches,” which is made of rice powder, and present this to one another as a gift. If a person gets many “Paches,” he or she is very happy because they can share them with their neighbors—as I did.

People are not reluctant in their repetition of labor and devotion, and in no way feel bored about these yearly activities which never have anything new. Rather, they seem to be even happier in repeating the same thing again. This code of peaceful happiness has rippled through my heart that comes from the nation called South Korea, living and working everyday at the fastest speed in the world, being competitive in always creating a new item.


*Original Article: 


No comments:

Post a Comment