Emigrant Sensibility in
the Age of Globalization (8):
Letter to Koreans
Regarding Life as a Foreign Woman in South Korea ②
By Ji Eungyeong
Published: September 20,
2015
Editor’s
note: Vacation, business travel, migrant labor, language study, study abroad,
international marriage, immigration—many of us have such experiences of
crossing national borders, and there are many immigrants living in our country.
Ilda examines the emigrant sensibility we will need in order to live equally
and peacefully in the age of globalization. This series is supported by the
Korea Press Foundation’s Press Promotion Fund.
![]() |
| On a mountain in Namwon in 1996 © Ji Eungyeong |
A turning point in my
time in Korea came during the World Cup in 2002. It was right after South Korea
won against Italy. People were deliriously happy, and seemed to have a lot of
pride in South Korea—one of the first open displays of Korean pride that I had
seen. A few of us Korean Americans ventured out to a bar to celebrate with the
rest of the world. We were at a bar that advertised “buy one, get one free.” As
we left, there was a disagreement with the bill that turned ugly. At one point,
the owners and staff at the bar accused us of trying to cheat them by hiding a
bottle—a bottle that one of us wanted to take as a souvenir, and had put in the
bag after our bill had been calculated. During the disagreement, the staff
accused us of speaking English to “show off.” It was a way of lording our
privilege over others, they inferred. When I tried to explain that a few of us
couldn’t speak any Korean, they were no longer listening. We were the bad, ugly
Korean/Americans, and we deserved to be punished. Things almost turned violent,
and the police were called. The police, whom we suspected had been bribed by
the owners of the bar, threatened us with jail time if we didn’t pay a fine AND
the supposed discrepancy demanded by the owners.
Being a Korean American
woman in South Korea meant that I had a distinct set of experiences from other
foreign women. As part of the “we” of Koreans, I was given special attention,
and I benefited from many kind Koreans investing a lot of time to teach me
Korean culture and language. In response to my eagerness to learn, Koreans
patiently answered my endless questions about language and history, and
indulged my insatiable enthusiasm for norebang [karaoke].
I was given
opportunities to learn about Korean culture, particularly “traditional” culture,
which I was more interested in. For example, a friend invited me to a collective
of traditional hanok homes, where I
stayed for a month. Another invited me to learn about natural dyeing, while yet
another took me to go sledding in Taebak Mountain in the winter. I saw the
sunrise in Chiri Mountain and ate samgyupsal
[pork belly] in Namwon. I learned poongmul
[traditional Korean instruments] in the Cholla countryside. Once, I was given a
very special bottle of rare and expensive wild insam [ginseng] as a gift to take to the US. I stayed in Buddhist
temples and learned how to meditate. I was the beneficiary of countless acts,
small and big, of generosity and inclusion. I will always remember these gifts
with fondness and appreciation. Some of the friendships I developed over these
years will endure for a lifetime, as the simple inclusion that people gave me
made me feel accepted and a part of a family. The connections I made meant it
was relatively easy for me over the ensuing years to establish a network of
friends in Korea that could help me at any given notice. In a word, I was well
taken care of by many good people who appreciated my enthusiasm and love of
Korea.
But there was a negative
side to being Korean as well. As my Korean language improved, so did my ability
to “blend” into Korean society. At times, my Korean fluency disguised my
American “origins.” At others, people assumed I had a speech impediment or was
Korean Chinese. My ability to blend was both a blessing and curse.
The curse began when I
entered my mid 30s and officially became an ajjumma
[middle-aged (supposedly married) woman]. As many Korean feminists have
written about, being an ajjumma in
Korea occupies an interesting space of agency but also asexuality. In my
day-to-day life, my ajjumma
appearance combined with my occasional slips of language or cultural cues meant
that I was often looked at with impatience, condescension (hanshimhan nunbit), and occasionally anger. I did not behave in the
way that was expected of me as a typical ajjumma.
I was a puzzle and a cause of confusion.
One privilege I had as a
Korean American was an assumption of belonging. I was told over and over again
that I belonged to the nation of Korea. But the more people told me, the more I
questioned my belonging. It seemed I only conditionally belonged through an
accident of birth, but my cultural upbringing meant that I had to make an
effort to show my Korean pride to others. In other words, I had to constantly
prove my loyalty to the idea of Korea. What was confusing was which idea of
Korea I was supposed to show loyalty to, because everyone had a different idea
of Korea. Korea meant being anti-Japanese to one person, anti-American to
another, or a commitment to unification. Korea was about becoming a strong and
powerful nation to one person, while it meant a return to ‘tradition’ to
others. What was Korean tradition? Was it a hierarchy of male and female, older
and younger, or was it something else? A return to farming? A ‘return’ to
Christianity? Buddhism? Shamanism?
As one Korean American
friend put it, South Koreans assumed we were a book with blank pages. Nothing
was written before (or nothing that counted), and Koreans had carte blanche to
write whatever they wanted in it. We were not supposed to discriminate or
argue, and accept whatever was written. I was alternately grateful, confused,
and later angry by the diversity (and often conflicting) things that were being
taught to me. More frightening to me was that the cost of challenging what was
being written was not belonging.
My ability to easily
switch from Korean to English, similar to my ability to switch from my Korean
to American identity, made people uncomfortable. I was not easily predictable. Nor
was I particularly useful—in a country where age usually meant one was married,
with a stable income, and could therefore pay—I was (and still am) a poor
graduate student with little money, so I could not be relied upon to pay the
bill. And my English ability was no longer as rare. I was no longer desirable,
and no longer “fun.”
Not Korean, Not American
![]() |
| At a rock concert in San Francisco in 2014 © Ji Eungyeong |
After close to a decade
of of living in South Korea, I returned to the US to attend graduate school. A
close friend encouraged me to return to the US to come to terms with the anger
I had towards the US. ‘If you hate the US, you hate part of yourself,’ she
wisely told me. In graduate school, I had the opportunity to study Korea from
an academic perspective. I was able to interpret my experiences in Korea
through a historical and cultural lens that I did not have while living there.
Moreover, I rediscovered the US as an adult, and learned about it through
academia as well. I was surprised to discover there were a lot of interesting
things happening in the US both culturally and politically. I learned that as
much as there were racists in society, there were also a lot of people trying
to make society better.
Returning to live in the
US helped me come to terms with my inability to become Korean no matter how
hard I tried. It also helped me be at peace with the US—for all the terrible
things that the US did and stood for, it was also my home. I had finally
reached a point where I was no longer ashamed of being American, and could
embrace both worlds.
It was during these
years that I started emphasizing my “Americanness.” I didn’t want people to
become confused by my ability to blend when I was an American at heart. Some
Koreans took offense. By emphasizing my American identity over my Korean, they
interpreted it as betraying the Korean nation. I saw it as being honest with
others as well as myself.
One way I was perceived
as rejecting being Korean was by not being married. I was over 40, unmarried,
and I was not ashamed of my unmarried status. Whenever I visited Korea, I hung
out in cafes and bars in Hongdae. I ignored signs outside of clubs warning “Only those under 33 allowed to
enter,” and went dancing. I didn’t care that I was now old, fat, and not an
ideal Korean woman. I traveled. I dated. I wore age-inappropriate clothing. I
was a troublemaker. I yelled at people who called me “mother” in shops. I was
an anomaly to others. But most shocking was that I was comfortable with myself
and my contradictions. I was not fully Korean and was no longer fully American.
I lived on the border of two identities and worlds.
In the last decade,
being a foreigner is no longer such a novelty. It seems almost overnight, Korea
has become a multicultural society. It is now common to see western foreigners,
KoAsians, and even a small but growing population of North Korean defectors.
While English is still unfairly important, more people speak it well, and the
younger generation seems to have a confidence with English that I never saw
when I first went to Korea. South Korea has grown to be a major player in Asia
culturally and economically. With all of these changes has come an even greater
confusion about what it means to be Korean.
There will always be
things that I love about Korea. It is a love that grows along with my knowledge
of its strengths and weaknesses. I hope one day that being Korean is not so
rigid and can encompass differences of gender, age, sexuality, and identity. We
can’t all get married at the same age, have children at the same time, or
produce more or less children just because the government says we should. We are
not all the same, nor should we always try to be—we move at different paces, we
don’t fit into little boxes. Over the years, I’ve learned that the people who
are the borders of society, who supposedly do not belong, have the most insight
about that society. Please listen to them, for if you ignore what they have to
say, you run the risk of losing an important opportunity to make Korea a better
place for all Koreans.
*Original article:



Thank you for writing a well-written article about your struggles. I wish you all of the best!
ReplyDeleteLooking forward to reading more.
Sincerely,
Yvon
Seoul
Counselor at Seoularium Counseling Services